[ Follow-Ups | Post A Follow-Up | Return To Forum | FAQ ]

Re: question regarding music career

Posted by Norm on January 23, 2003 at 11:35:57:
In Reply to: question regarding music career posted by Holly on January 21, 2003 at 21:53:48:

Holly, I guess you are a fairly new Vienna fan? Vienna's background is fairly well documented in a a few articles and interviews, such as the NPR interview. (Vienna just left her job as a software engineer in 2002) To give you some unsolicited advice, I would recommend you finish college as well, maybe majoring in music. (Do you know how to read and transcribe music?) College can be a fun time for you, as well as improving you as a person. Plus you can't get very far without a college degree. It's always possible you won't be able to put food on the table with just music. My brother was taking a computer science curriculum at University of California. Midway through college, he said, why am I doing that when I really want to do music? So he finished with a dual major - music and computer science. Eventually he got a Ph.D in music. He works at a school in Florida and does free-lance piano accompanying. To earn a living as a singer-songwriter, one has to be above average in the eyes of the listeners. Vienna is considerably above average. Her album has the rare quality of not making people tired of listening to it over and over. It is always good to have education and a day job that will enable you to survive until the music career gets going.

Follow-Ups:

Post A Follow-Up:

Name:
Email:
Webpage:
Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow-Ups | Post A Follow-Up | Return To Forum | FAQ ]